Saturday, September 2, 2017

Sewing, the lost art...

I miss blogging.

 I stopped blogging because my computer's keyboard wasn't working right and I really have a problem writing with one finger on my IPad.  So, I finally got it all fixed...and here I am!

So to catch you up on my activities...I've been sewing dresses for my grand daughter, Scarlet.  I haven't sewn in years.  I used to sew for my three daughters but it got so expensive, it was more economical to buy from our local stores. Now, we have the internet.  You can find patterns way less than at your local Hobby Lobby or JoAnn's.  Patterns costing $16 - 20 are $1.99.  What a surprise!

Material is expensive, too, but when you just need a yard, well...that's a steal!!

I began by cutting out my first pattern out of material that I had previously cut a dress for myself.  Years have passed, I'm not the tiny person I used to be so I decided to use the same cut material to cut Scarlet's first dress. I really didn't give it much thought so I didn't photograph the pattern I used nor did I properly display the dress when I photographed the finished product, so bear with me.



 I laid out the dress and just took the picture...duh! (Didn't think!)   I even found matching buttons in my button collection and the rest is history.

I had so much fun sewing this dress.  You have no idea how many mistakes I made - but it turned out fine.

This is Scarlet wearing her new dress to church.





I then sewed...her 4th of July dress...


and a second from another precut dress... 

 I am on a roll...but now I'm photographing as I go.

 

This is McCall pattern M5791






 
                                     

Pattern:  M6017



 

 Sewing has certainly given me the opportunity to express my creativity which certainly was in dire need of  being expressed, but most of all - I connect with my grand daughter.  We haven't been able to travel in over a year.  Ralph went through quite a few illnesses, two hospital stays, and food poisoning. And I recently joined him with my own challenge.  Last year I went through a diabetes scare causing a possible detached retina in one eye.  I got my diabetes in control for over a year and suddenly in June, I began getting symptoms in my other eye.  What a panic!  I thought my diabetes was out of control.  It turned out to be old age...  No one wants to be told that!  It's better now.  I don't spend as much time on the computer, watching TV, or all the wonderful crafts and projects that  enjoy.  I have to pick and choose and limit my time on any project.

What a time to find my love for sewing again...but I do it in moderation.  Everything in moderation...that's the ticket.  As I've gotten older, my patience for ripping a mistake or starting over is immeasurable.  Meanwhile, like I said...I'm on a roll.  Boy, does it feel good!!!

 God Bless everyone...and be kind.







No comments:

Post a Comment